EDF manifesto on EU elections
EUD as a member of EDF calls on the EU political leaders to ensure that persons with disabilities enjoy their right to vote and to stand for election, inter alia through the following actions:
• Ensuring persons with disabilities the right to vote and the right to run as a candidate for elections as guaranteed by Art. 29 of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD), which states that all persons with disabilities, irrespective of the kind and degree of their disabilities, can participate in political and public life by taking part in elections both as voters and candidates on an equal basis with others.
• Replacing existing legal capacity legislation, to comply with Article 12 of the UN CRPD and the General Comment No. 1 of the UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
• Ensuring that polling stations are accessible to all persons with disabilities and that voting procedures (including for remote voting) are accessible and easy to understand.
• Ensuring that election campaign facilities and materials, political debates, political party programmes and websites are accessible to, and inclusive of, persons with disabilities.
• Ensuring that all persons with disabilities, including those living in institutions, are able to exercise their right to vote independently.
• Ensuring that data on the political participation of persons with disabilities is collected and analysed.