EUD & ÖGLB Joint Seminar in Vienna, Austria
On the 5th of October EUD co-organised a seminar with Österreichischer Gehörlosenbund (ÖGLB, the Austrian Deaf Association) on “Overcoming barriers together – Austrian best practices for Europe”.
The opening speech was very special as we were honoured to have the Federal President of Austria, Alexander Van der Bellen and his wife, Doris Schmidauer. After Federal President Van der Bellen gave his opening speech, there were 8 more opening speeches from ENGOs and national representatives.
The seminar went into detail on 10 different best practices on both a National and European level. You can find about the seminar’s speakers and topics below:
Welcome & Introduction of Austrian Government Representatives
- President of the Austrian National Association of the Deaf: Helene Jarmer
- Federal President of Austria: Alexander Van der Bellen and wife Doris Schmidauer
- President of the European Union of the Deaf: Markku Jokinen
- District Director of the 2nd district of Vienna: Uschi Lichtenegger
- Member of the European Disability Forum Executive Committee: Humberto Insolera
- President of the European Forum of Sign Language Interpreters: Ivana Bucko
- Representative of the Federal Minister of Social Affairs: Manfred Pallinger
- President of the European Network of Sign Language Teachers: Luigi Lerose
- Board Member of the European Union of the Deaf Youth: Ludwig Herb
- President of the European Deaf Sports Organisation: Bjørn Røine
Successful Best Practice Projects in Austria
- Zero Project Austria: Martin Essl
- ESC 2015 in Austria/ORF: Delil Yilmaz
- Work and Perspectives of Ombudsman Board: Günter Kräuter
- Representative of the Disability Ombudsman: Aaron Banovics
- Bimodal Bilingual Education in Europe. An Overview: Verena Krausneker
- Service models for deaf individuals over the lifespan: Johannes Fellinger
- Austrian Sign Language as UNESCO world cultural heritage: Helene Jarmer
- 30 years sign language in the parliament of the European Union: Markku Jokinen
- LOGO! Deaf Interpreters in the German-speaking realm: Reinhard Grobbauer
- Short film screening documentary “Seeing Voices“
Today was an incredibly successful and informative seminar for the 120 registered participants.
EUD would like to show gratitude to ÖGLB’s team for their tireless work and co-operation to ensure a successful event for everyone.