March - June 2020 Internship Position
Reports to: EUD Media & Communication Officer
Salary: €800 per month
Contract: 3-month ‘stagiaire’ contract
Based in: Brussels, Belgium
Period of internship: 23 March – 19 June 2020 (including 5 days off)
The internship is aimed at Deaf sign language users who want to gain valuable experience at European level. EUD will cover the intern’s transportation costs to and from Brussels and pay a monthly allowance of €800. The internship will be matched to the candidates’ profile: it will either focus on media and communication or policy work, or a combination of both. Work will include attendance at events at various European institutions, and the General Assembly in Zagreb, Croatia, as well as media and film work. Depending on the task and the intern’s skills and interests he or she will report to the Media & Communication Officer.
For further information and enquiries please contact David Hay, Communication & Media Officer (details see below).
- A. Main Purpose of the Job
- To assist the Media & Communication Officer in their everyday work;
- Create videos in International Sign and write articles for the EUD website and newsletter;
- Prepare the General Assembly, Workshop & Seminar
- Co-operation with NADs
- Flight schedules/hotel bookings
- Registrations of speakers & participants
- Translate texts from English into IS, including creative visualisations.
Qualifications and Experience Required
- Completed or undergoing university studies (documentation/certificates may be requested);
- Thorough knowledge of at least one sign language and one written language of the European Union;
- Proven ability to use electronic office equipment (word processing, spreadsheets, email, Internet, etc).
To be eligible a candidate must also:
- Be a Deaf sign language user;
- Be a national of a Member State of the European Union;
- Be entitled to his or her full rights as citizen;
- Meet the character requirements for the duties involved;
- Be physically fit to perform the duties linked to the post.
- B. Selection Criteria
- Knowledge and understanding of Deaf culture and Deaf issues;
- Fluency in at least one sign language and a good level of English (writing and reading);
- Ability to communicate effectively in International Sign (EUD is a signing environment);
- Ability to learn quickly;
- Commitment to EUD’s vision, Deaf/Hearing working together;
- Ability to work in a small team.
- Knowledge of EU institutions/policies;
- A very good command of the English language to college standard or equivalent;
- Knowledge of other European sign languages/written languages;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
For applications to be valid, candidates must submit:
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae in Europass format not longer than 2-3 pages
- Letter of motivation not longer than 1-2 pages
- Name and contact details of at least one reference (university lecturer or previous employer)
All documents must be submitted in Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx) format or Acrobat (.pdf) format. The application will be rejected if the dossier is incomplete. Supporting documentation showing evidence of the information given in the application may be requested at a later stage (such as certificates). No documents will be sent back to candidates.
The CV must be sent in English. The motivation letter can be sent in English or both in English and International Sign (preferred).
Applications must be sent to ‘david.hay(at)eud.eu’ by Friday, 21 February 2020 at 12 noon (Central European Time) at the latest. Late applications will not be considered! Please indicate ‘Application EUD Internship 1/2020’ in the subject line. Early applications are encouraged and will be noted.
Interviews (via webcam and in International Sign) will be in the week of 24 February 2020 and a decision will be made shortly after.