In Article 5(1) of EUD Statutes and in EUD’s Strategic Plan 2021 – 2028, one can find EUD’s mission statement: It is the aim of EUD to represent and promote the interests of deaf persons in Europe at the European Union level. EUD aims to ensure equality and non-discrimination in public and private life for deaf people all over Europe so they can exercise all their rights.
Its main long-term objectives are:
- Recognition of the right to use an indigenous sign language.
- Empowerment through access to communication and information
- Equality in all areas of life and especially in education and employment.
Conform EUD’s Strategic Plan 2021 – 2028, EUD’s vision is that deaf people all over Europe have equality in both public and private aspects of life. Conform EUD’s Strategic Plan 2021 – 2028, EUD’s nine strategic goals and overall objectives are:
- Full accessibility through proactive actions and measures at the EU level
- Full participation of deaf people through enhancing democratic processes
- Equality fostered by the Council Directive
- Equal access to employment for deaf people in Europe
- Training to build the capacity of deaf people and increase deaf awareness
- Social protection for deaf individuals in Europe through implementing social rights
- Equal access to health care for deaf people in Europe
- External action to consolidate relationships with governing bodies
- Accessible early, primary, secondary, and higher education for deaf children and students in Europe From the beginning of January to the end of December 2022 EUD will be implementing 4 specific goals defined in its four year work programme of the Operating Grant.